How much will it cost to rebuild the transmission?
Every rebuilt transmission is different. Some require almost every part inside the case to be rebuilt, some even a case, and some simply need clutches, gaskets and seals to make them as good as new.
Here are some quick background facts about how transmission prices are determined:
- Large production company rebuild prices are determined by figuring out the number of parts used in a year and dividing that number by the total units built that year and then adding a profit margin to the per unit cost.
- Live on-site rebuild prices ONLY include the total parts for that specific unit plus a labor charge.
Edward's solution is to combine the best of both worlds by using production rebuilding efficiency with live unit pricing. Ultimately, the cost to the consumer is considerably less money.
How can I tell if my transmission is working properly?
Test driving your vehicle under normal acceleration, light acceleration, and heavy acceleration and observing the shift quality and timing of your vehicle will tell a lot. Checking the transmission fluid also provides some indicators.
Professional shops usually have a list of 10 or more items to check when determining whether or not your transmission is working properly. Even then, most late model transmissions need an electronic scan of the computer components to show if your transmission is working properly.
We recommend letting an Edwards professional perform the preliminary road test and check your car out while you wait. The testing takes about 15-30 minutes and we will be able to determine if anything needs to be done from there.
How long should a transmission last?
Transmissions, like the engine, body and other major components of a vehicle, should last the life of the vehicle, but, for different reasons, sometimes fail prematurely.
Excessive salt or sunlight puts wear on your car's body parts early. Heat, excessive stress, or poor lubrication tend to cause mechanical failures early. Abnormal electrical currents, excessive heat, excessive cold or vibrations cause electronic failures early. Malfunctioning components like engines or electrical systems can cause abnormal failure of other components early. (i.e. computer caused transmission failure)
The people at Edward's Transmissions will be happy to discuss any special situations you may encounter and explain how to avoid damage to your transmission or engine or other components in your vehicle.
What's the difference between new, rebuilt, and remanufactured transmissions?
- New: A new transmission, like other new parts, is literally manufactured on the same line as the original equipment.
- Rebuilt: Rebuilt typically means disassembled, cleaned and all worn or damaged parts are replaced at the site of repair.
- Remanufactured: Remanufactured
Things to consider:
- Quality control can be tighter in the new or remanufactured method but pricing is more expensive.
- New units are only available from the original manufacturer (GM, Ford, Toyota etc.) Availability is limited and prices are generally very high - sometimes twice as much as rebuilt or remanufactured.
- Remanufactured units are available from various suppliers including the original manufacturer. These prices are less than new but still higher than rebuilt.
- For rebuilt units, you only pay for the parts that are needed and they are generally more economically priced. This service used to be very common but due to the highly technical style of transmissions today, few auto repair shops and dealerships actually employ technicians capable of rebuilding today's transmissions.
Edward's operates remanufacturing facilities that offer the best quality, and efficiency of manufacturing, yet charge only for the parts the customer really needs, similar to on-site rebuilding.
How long will it take to repair my transmission?
The removal and reinstallation of a transmission in the average modern vehicle takes 4-6 hours.
Service manuals list transmission overhauls as requiring between 6-12 hours, once the transmission has been removed from the vehicle.
Each job has to be evaluated on its own but Edward's Remanufacturing Factory can diminish the total time to less than a 24 hour period most of the time. (i.e. in by 10 a.m., completed by 10 a.m. next day.)